It's been a while since I've put pen to paper and written something meaningful.
I know that you're all desperate for some fresh revelation or at least the odd bon mot...
I've been away.
Not exactly away, more absent than present I guess.
The writing and recording process can do that to you.
You rattle your sabers and find that you have feck all to say...
'To the Bone' will be available to you all soon.
I hope that you'll like its... slightness.
Meanwhile, Di's away with family so I have a weekend to plan for myself.
I intend to:
- Drink too much coffee.
- Eye the whiskey bottle and resist.
- Discover the joys of the 'Mood' playlists on 'Spotify'. I currently cannot get past 'Coffeehouse'. It seems that everyone wants to be Bon Ivor at the moment. I'd rather that than Oasis but, with so many towels on the beach I'm wondering where I'm going to sit...
Ah, here's Paul Simon; 'Bookends' succinct genius breaks that whispering spell.
Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
- Finally finish reading Ron Rash's wonderful, 'The Cove' (raw and terribly beautiful) so that I can reach for the next on the shelf: Willy Vlautin's 'Lean on Me Pete'.
- That'll lead me on to reassessing Richmond Fontaines back catalogue; inevitably lingering long on 'Post to Wire'.
- Finish watching the Ray LaMontagne concert on Sky Arts and wonder why such a beautiful singer leaves me so cold as a performer...
- Lose a £10 bet on the England v Ireland match to a fuzzy faced Paddy sailor who doesn't need the cash and already has too much of mine.
- Wonder at how Swansea City can play such technically beautiful football without putting it in the onion net.
- Watch that second new 'Star Trek' movie knowing I'll resent the loss of the 90 minutes.
- Rewatch 'The Master' and 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' in deference to the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman.
- Fill in the metadata and PRS spreadsheets (hate 'em) in preparation for the release of 'To the Bone'.
- Relisten to the final mixes and mither.
- Wonder why I am compelled to secretly dress like the bastard son of Billy the Fish and Jesus Christ. And you thought him a virgin?
Why not write to me here and tell me how your weekend's going; give me an idea or two beyond reshaping my facial hair and wondering what three curries in a row will do for my digestion.