Saturday 24 May 2014

TORONTO TIM SAYS: NEW MUSIC: THE PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART - DAYS OF ABANDON ++++

cover art
Here I hand over the page to the enthusiasms of Tim Patrick from Canada. 
Toronto Tim Says:
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart are a young Brooklyn-based indie-rock band whose first two albums rated highly on journo's year end Top 20 lists of 2009/2011. However, my impression was mostly one of general indifference to the noisy, wall of sound type of sonics that seemed to emulate shoegaze bands like Ride/My Bloody Valentine/Stone Roses.
OK, but not my cuppa...
So, based on previous releases, 'Days Of Abandon' is one that I almost turned the page on, without even giving it a chance. But I'm pleased that I gave it a quick sample, since it's a pretty impressive collection of dreamy indie "pop"... with stress on the "POP". Unfortunately, the new album seems to be polarizing some of the critics, many of whom prefer the clangor and crunch of the early releases versus the catchy, jangly melodies of the new one. Love it or hate it, I'll take their new smoothed edges direction any day. Think of bands like Stars, The Sundays, Smiths, The Cure (at their catchiest), maybe a dash of Belle & Sebastian tweeness...
DAYS OF ABANDON may not be ground-breaking or edgy enough for some in the crowd, but a good healthy dose of warm, sunny tunes always does me good. 
Smugness be damned!
I can't even pick a favorite song, not a clunker to be found. 
Turn off your brain & just soak in the blissful pop sunshine…



Kelly (live):

Life After Life (live):



TPOBPAH official website: http://thepainsofbeingpureatheart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment