Monday 11 November 2013

To the Bone: The Second Sessions: Sunday

Up early; Willow tries to get into the shower with me and I tell her to... be elsewhere. Which brings us neatly on to the first song of the day. 'Angelicana' is concerned with a restless spirit's wanderlust. It's a fairly raw song that we strip bare. I play a lo-fi acoustic guitar part and then sing close mic'd. The throaty rasp is benefit of last night's chat and the gravel works nicely, although I do sound slightly pissed off... The chorus is a one word repetition of the title. I hear it as a kind of female Greek chorus, or sirens beckoning our traveller either onto the rocks or towards a better future. We section up my voice and hope to get Luce in to give the hook line a feminine resonance. That'll be an interesting experiment as Lucinda sings in tune...
Marcus plays his Dan Electro bass which warms the bottom end of the mix, working well with the trashy drum sound. Joe Henry would be proud of us...
As the evening sets in we set about the final song. 'The Fullness of Time' is a piano ballad that Marcus pronounces 'too pretty' and sets about deconstructing it; ordering me to remove all of the twiddly bits and simplify; removing the diminished and minor 7ths etc. 'Think Lanois rather than James Taylor' he prompts, so I put on a pair of oven gloves for performance. As you will surely hear, this paid dividends. My least dextrous performance ever is proclaimed 'perfect' by the Scientist. It's a rough science...
Later, I look down my nose at him as he sits poised at the piano and I smugly suggest a piano part that is 'more Mrs Mills than Elton." He looks confused but gets it when I mention Les Dawson... Once the vocal is down (our usual 3 takes and a 'comp') we add a wonky Sparklehorse mellotrone and it all sounds surprisingly effecting. Amazing what imperfection can do to the heartstrings...
Lesson learnt: one bubble in the paint job: bad. Many bubbles: good.
That's 13 songs in the bag of bones.
Stripped bare they do sound naked; now comes the fun: we need to add the right flesh to the bones...
Less fat and fulsome, more lean and keen methinks...

2 comments:

  1. Careful you two. Or I will have to come up to Norbury Brook and tie your hands behind your backs. LESS IS MORE. remember KISS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think on our budget Nick you can safely say that less will be more...

    ReplyDelete