Saturday 8 October 2011

Vulture: England Teams; Laughing Stock; Cooder's Lazy Slide Saves the Day



My TV did well to survive the weekend; I like my sport but was underwhelmed by two English teams that underperformed so woefully; the lackluster footy featured Rooney the Looney, and then (after a spirited and skillful display by the laudable Welsh and Irish) Johnny and the boys managed a damp squib against a French team that my old school's netball team could have walloped. I predict (and hope for) a NZ v Wales final with the All Blacks shading it in a low scoring match. The Welsh might have a better chance if someone finally notices McCaw and his boys offending at the breakdowns
I needed calming so, after being alerted by the excellent blog 'Cathedrals of Sound' to a piece celebrating the 20th anniversary of its release, I spent sunday morning in recovery listening to Talk Talk's 'Spirit of Eden' and 'Laughing Stock', two beautiful albums that seem to have dipped below the cultural radar. 
When asked to explain the latter's lack of success Tim Friesse-Greene the producer said that it was "just too beautiful'. He's not wrong. Singer Mark Hollis opined the silence is above everything, and I would rather hear one note than I would two, and I would rather hear silence than I would one note” which might explain why he's seemingly disappeared into the ether. Before he departed Hollis always maintained that 'Laughing Stock' had to be listened to as a piece. so in deference to Mark I'm not going to put a track up. Just go to amazon here and buy both 'Spirit of Eden' and the sublime 'Laughing Stock'. Sadly you'll probably only have to pay a quid or two...
After all that ambience I needed grounding so I turned to (and turned up) a recent purchase, an excellent anthology of Ry Cooder's music 'The UFO Has Landed'. 
Have a look at this version of 'How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live"from "Ry Cooder & The Moula Banda Rhythm Aces: Let's Have A Ball", a film by Les Blank taped at The Catalyst, Santa Cruz, CA on March 25'th 1987.
Now I'm off into the garden to practice my drop kicking (apples and a fence); my country needs me...

No comments:

Post a Comment