Thursday 17 November 2011

Lovesong: Paul Buchanan: Because of Toledo

I love this song. 
It makes me think of Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' which perfectly reflects the song's desolate subtext; "the loneliness of a large city" (as Hopper himself put it) 
 The tension and dislocation within is palpable. 
I watched the Burt Lancaster movie 'The Killers' at the weekend (based on the Hemingway short story) and it echoes the psychological tension seen here. 
An odd synchronicity is that, when I approached Nick Reddyhoff to do the cover for the forthcoming album 'Ghost of Song' (more of that later), he chose to design the artwork with 'Nighthawks' in mind.
Nick loves Hopper as much as I do, so much so that he took the time to put himself in the picture.
Look closely at Nick's version beneath the original. 
Nick's the one with beard...


 I remember reading somewhere that the sound of Blue Nile was the perfect soundtrack for the movie that Hopper never made. Which brings me back to this
haunting acoustic version of 'Because of Toledo' from PB, followed by a really good take from some unknown who, frankly shouldn't be...

No comments:

Post a Comment