Sunday 5 February 2012

Cassidy's Care: The Recordings: Any Human Heart

The last Miracle Mile album 'Limbo' was released in 2007.
Since then we've released an album of selected songs 'Coffee and Stars' (2009) and I've done two solo albums as 'Jones': 
'Hopeland' (2009) and 'Keepers' (2010).
We started the recording of a new Miracle Mile album 'Cassidy's Care' last summer, deciding on a different approach to this album; I would write the songs and deliver them to Marcus in three initial sessions; as a recorded vocal and a chord sheet. Our usual starting point would be a vocal and an acoustic guitar guide (which would normally survive the mix). This time, in order to free Marcus up from any predetermined rhythms or quirky chordings, we agreed that there would be no guide guitar from me;  so we recorded the songs against a very basic keyboard 'pad' that would surely be replaced. I was confident enough in the 'weight' of the songs to be able pitch them appropriately and call the vocals 'keepers'. 
We then agreed that I would then leave the room; Marcus would arrange and orchestrate the songs alone and in his own sweet time. 
At that point Mr Cliffe decided to dismantle the studio and rebuild it in his garden... you can see that process on this blog under 'Labels' and 'Norbury Brook Studios'.
Well, the studio is now finished and Marcus has started in on the album again. 
Being a true scientist he's going to work through the songs in alphabetical order, so has started with 'Any Human Heart' which he describes, in progress, as "Dylan meets Daniel Lanois".
I'd buy that.
Here's proof from the boy that he's working away.
The acoustic guitar is comforting but I'm a little concerned about the Les Paul...




I'll post the lyrics as we go so that you might try and match them with the story 'In Cassidy's Care' (see that 'Label' also). 
I guess that you could call the album 'The soundtrack to the unmade film of the unpublished book' but please don't hold me too literally to that; artistic license being what it is, thing might change...



Any Human Heart

The story of the day
The story of the night
The day you went away
I felt my heart take flight

White lines leading me back
Connecting you to me
Red lights the distance between us
Between what was and what will be

Still I’m coming on strong
I’m writing brave and free
I’m coming on strong
Still waiting to be me

Any human heart can tell you
Untold stories left behind
Any drunken fool can make
The patterns of the past entwine

There’ll be a tale to tell
Hell, didn’t we made the same mistakes
So let’s mark this moment well
Before the morning breaks

Then I’ll be coming on strong
Writing Brave and free
I’ve got the right to be wrong
Thus wisdom comes, you’ll see

Any human heart can tell you
Untold stories left behind
Any drunken fool can make
The patterns of the past entwine

Whiskey mornings
New day dawnings
Coffee cup warnings
This much is true

Red lights flicker and fade
Hope will be the death of me
Lets loose those dreams and promises made
Let loose the man I want to be
Who’ll hold you close again
Who’ll taste the breath of you
Who’ll know your secret name
And pray that you will know mine too

Any human heart can tell you
Untold stories left behind
Any drunken fool can make
The patterns of the past entwine

Any human heart can tell you
Untold stories left behind
Any drunken fool can make
The patterns of the past entwine
The fumblings of a foolish mind

No comments:

Post a Comment